Tuesday 20 August 2013

Something New

Another fortnight has flown by and it's time for another Craft-Room Challenge the theme is Something New and it has been chosen by the lovely Debi, this is what she has to say about why she chose the theme.

For my theme I got thinking..... and  if you're anything like me, you either have a heap of new stash still waiting to be used, or your Pinterest Boards are full of techniques that you want to try but just haven't got round to it yet lol.  So I thought lets have a challenge that might get us using some new stash or a new technique.

Our sponsor is The Stampman.


I decided to alter a canvas using some beeswax that I'd bought a few months ago and never used, I also used an Andy Skinner skull mask for the first time. The image and background paper are from the Gecko Galz August products.


Products

Image from the Gecko Galz The Art of Waterhouse Collage Sheet.
Background Paper from the Gecko Galz Life’s a Circus Paper Set.
Canvas.
Beeswax.
Melt Pot.
PaperArtsy Script Stamp.
Tissue Paper.
Black Archival Inkpad.
Dreamweaver Gold Embossing Paste.
Crafters Workshop Harlequin Mask.
Andy Skinner Skull Mask.
Star Sequin Waste.
Lace.
Olive Bronze Treasure Gold Gilding Wax.
Acrylic Paint.
Heat Gun.

I painted the canvas with the acrylic paint and stamped the script onto the tissue paper with black Archival ink.
I melted the wax in my melt pot and brushed some wax over the surface of the canvas, then I lay the background paper over the canvas and brushed some of the wax over it then I did the same with the image and tissue paper.
I then stencilled the skull, stars and harlequin using the gold embossing paste.
When the paste has dried I brushed some wax over the surface and smoothed the surface with myheat gun.  I then let some of the wax drip on the edges – when the drips of wax had set I went over them with the gilding wax using my finger. The last thing I did was to polish the surface with a soft cloth.

Thank you everyone that entered the Bingo challenge, Mervi will have a difficult time choosing her top three.

Have a visit to the Craft-Room Challenge Blog to have a look at the lovely samples that the DT have made.



16 comments:

  1. Great idea for a challenge! And, of course, I love your personal creation using that fabby Gecko Galz image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This beautiful Hazel and a wonderful way to use the wax.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great , love the layers you have created here x hugstrace x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning piece of art and the texture achieved. Suz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those gold elements bring such richness to the piece, so perfect for the GG image - gorgeous.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful canvas. Love the image and the skull mask is awesome! Hugs Frea

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the skull head your card has something gothic, golden beewax gives it a precious look!
    Friendly loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hazel, this is just sooooo cool, love everything about it- and I love the beeswax and the spooky skull :-) thanks for making this cool creation for my challenge :) Debi xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the effect of the wax Hazel :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous creation Hazel, beautiful and spooky, great story;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love this Hazel, it has a gorgeous soft look about it, and the skull mask looks great. I only tried beeswax once but it was a bit of a disaster, this looks absolutely brilliant.

    Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful canvas and a wonderful victorian gothic feel XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, how spooky that gilded skull is - a real memento mori hovering over the young woman. Very cool.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete